Official No:  125844   Port Number and Year:    82nd in Banff, 1907 (BF961)

                                                                                     9th in Milford, 1919

Description: Wood; steam screw, coal burning. Nets and lining.  Ketch rigged: jib, foresail and mizzen.

Crew:  8 men, 1 boy.

Registered at Milford: 2 Dec 1919

Built: 1907 by George Smith (jr.), Buckpool, Nether Buckie.

Tonnage: 80.92 grt  23 net  (1914: 33.7 net.)

Length / breadth / depth (feet):  85.2 / 18.7 / 8.7

Engine: C-2Cyl. 20 nhp. 9 kts.  Cooper and Craig, Dundee.



As BF961

28 Sep 1907: James Slater, Cliff St., Buckie, Banffshire.

Managing owner.


As M69

2 Dec 1919: Sarah Isobel Hancock, 5 Picton Rd., Hakin.

Manager: Peter Hancock. (Same address.)


Landed at Milford: 19 Sep 1919 - 30 Dec 1921.

Skippers: William Nicholas cert. 7078; Robert Gardener Yabsley 3403.

Notes: 12 Jan 1922:  Foundered near the Coningbeg Lightship. [See below.]

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 22 Feb 1922.

 Accidents and Incidents

Skipper’s statement on the loss of the THRIFT:


It was about twelve o’clock of the 12th January, 1922, when without any warning she sprang a leak.  Our position then was three quarters of a mile from the Coningbeg Light Ship. We took to the ship’s small boat after we had found that the vessel’s pumps could not keep pace with the in-rush of water.  The “Thrift” foundered at three o’clock the same day.

Robert Gardener Yabsley (Skipper)


Source: Les Jones archive.


[NB:  Not recorded in "Shipwreck Index of Ireland", but is listed on "Irish Wrecks on-line" website, Co.Wexford, 0.75 miles off Coningbeg Light Vessel.]


Back to Trawlers  1915-39