WESTLEIGH in Sutton Harbour, North Wall, just after her arrival at Plymouth in July 1952 from Milford, and before being renamed PERVERUS (see below).
She was brought round to Plymouth by Sk. Stan Drake Snr.
Photograph kindly supplied by Terry Bunker and Trawler Photos.
Official No: 137373 Port Number and Year: 2nd in North Shields, 1916 (SN248)
7th in Fleetwood, 1916 (FD292 )
6th in Milford, 1951
- in Plymouth, 1952 (PH116)
Description: Steel side trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Pareja (Spanish) method. Ketch rigged: mizzen sail.
Crew: 9 men (1951).
Registered at Milford: 20 Jul 1951
Built: 1916, by Smith's Docks Co., South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesborough. (Yard no. 607)
Tonnage: 226.82 grt 86.72 net.
Length / breadth / depth (feet): 117.4 / 22.5 / 13.05
Engine: T 3-Cyl. 80 nhp.10.5 kts. Engine by builders; boiler by Richardson, Westgarth & Co., Middlesborough.
As LANERCOST SN248
21 Jan 1916: Thomas M. Reed, North Shields.
29 Dec 1916: Palatine Steam Trawling Co. Ltd., 114 Dock St., Fleetwood
Manager: Magnus B. J. Wedum. (Same address.)
27 Sep 1921: As DARWEN FD292
1935: Thomas M. Reed, 'Kelso', King Edward Rd., Tynemouth.
1948: Caroline M. Reed, Tynemouth & William. F. Reed, Crail, Fife.
Manager: H. Markham Cook, Grimsby.
As WESTLEIGH M169
20 Jul 1951: Goodleigh Fisheries Ltd., The Docks, Milford.
Manager: Henry John Richards, Bulford Rd., Johnston.
25 Jul 1952: Percy Vernon Turner (Snr.), 'Clantarf', Compton Park, Villas Rd., Plymouth. ) Fish Merchants
Percy Vernon Turner (Jnr.), 'Hill Crest', (same remaining address.) ) & Joint
Charles Russel Turner, 'Clantarf', (same remaining address.) ) Trawler Owners.
Managing owner: Percy Vernon Turner (Snr.)
30 Jul 1952: As PERVERUS PH116
Landed at Milford: As HMS DARWEN: 14 Feb - 7 Mar 1940.
As WESTLEIGH: 15 Aug 1951 - 6 Jul 1952
Lanercost is a large parish in Cumberland, containing a part of Hadrian's Wall.
Darwen is a market town south of Blackburn, Lancashire.
Perverus is made up by "PERcy/VERnon/rUSsel"; the Christian names of their Plymouth owners.
Jan 1916: Completed as LANERCOST (SN248); requisitioned and converted to a minesweeper (Admy. no.3254). 1 x 12 pdr. Based in Tyne.
27 Dec 1916: North Shields registry closed.
12 Mar 1919: Returned to owners.
6-10 Oct 1928: Stranded in Druridge Bay. [See photograph below.]
25 Nov 1939: Requisitioned for war service as DARWEN and converted for auxiliary patrol duties. (P.No. FY.1859).
7 May 1940: Converted for minesweeping duties.
26 Feb 1946: Re-classed at Liverpool and returned to owners.
15 Sep 1955: Plymouth registry closed. Vessel broken up.
[ Information kindly supplied by Gil Mayes and "The Bosun's Watch" website. ]
Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 24 Jul 1952.
Accidents and Incidents
As DARWEN FD292, stranded in Druridge Bay, Northumberland, 6-10 Oct 1928. Refloated, repaired and returned to service.
John Stevenson Collection
From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 11th July 1952:
The trawler Westleigh, belonging to Goodleigh Fisheries, has been sold to Plymouth. She has been paired with the Southleigh, which will now be used as a spare while the rest of the pair fleet have their annual refit.
We understand that the firm will probably be buying another ship later in the year to pair up.
As PEVERUS PH116,in Sutton Harbour.
Courtesy of Terry Bunker and Trawler Photos.
Back to Trawlers 1940-88