The Cellars, looking towards Blackbridge, c.1930s
John Stevenson Collection
The Cellars, at the foot of Cellar Hill, was the site of J. & W. Francis' boatbuilding yard, with a quay a few yards further to the right of the picture. In 1909 the business was taken over by William Evans.
The schooner is believed to be CATHERINE AND MARY, which carried sand from Angle to Milford.
The road across the Pill in the background was completed in 1922, and named Blackbridge after the original Black Bridge, which was made of tarred timbers.
Haven and Docks