Courtesy of Barry Banham Maritime Photo Collection
Official No: 139991 Port Number and Year: 64th in Lowestoft, 1919 (LT568)
3rd in Milford, 1922 (M248)
- in Boulogne, 1922
3rd in Milford, 1927 (M131)
- in Lowestoft, 1932 (LT269)
Description: Admiralty Steel Drifter. Liner, coal burning. Dandy rigged: foresail, mizzen.
Crew: 10 men (1919); 8 men (1922); 9 men (1932-34).
Registered at Milford: As GLOSS, 19 May 1922; as MURIELLE, 14 Jun 1927.
Built: 1919, by Colby Bros., Oulton Broad, Lowestoft.
Tonnage: 95.65 grt 40.66 net. (By 1928: 37 net.)
Length / breadth / depth (feet): 86.2 / 18.55 / 9.3
Engine: T 3-Cyl. 34 nhp.; 9.5 kts.; engine by Pollit & Wigzall, Sowerby Bridge, and boiler by Ruston & Hornsby, Lincoln.
As GLOSS LT548
8 Oct 1919: Lion Fishing Co. Ltd., Old Bank of England Court, Queen St., Norwich.
Manager: Ernest Turrell, Roosvelt, Kessingland, Suffolk.
23 Mar 1922: Sarah Isobel Hancock, 5 Picton Rd., Hakin.
Manager: Peter Llewellyn Hancock.
As GLOSS B.?
13 Aug 1922: A. Maxton, 2 Quai Gambetta, Boulogne.
As MURIELLE [Renamed on or after 1924 - see Lloyd's report via "The Times" below.]
14 Jun 1927: Edward James Hellings, 5 Hamilton Tce., Milford
15 Aug 1932: Alfred Samuel Ling, 45 Royal Ave., Lowestoft
Sidney Owen Bird, 40 St. Leonard's Rd., Lowestoft.
Managing owner: William Barnard, 196 Denmark Rd., Lowestoft.
By 1935: Jubilee Fishing Co. Ltd., Hamilton Rd., Lowestoft.
Manager: Alfred S. Ling, 45 Royal Ave., Lowestoft.
Landed at Milford: As GLOSS: 25 Mar - 30 May 1922
As MURIELLE: 23 Jun 1927 - 15 Aug 1931
Skippers: Sidney Harris (1922)
Gloss is a fair, bright appearance; Admiralty drifters were named as natural phenomena or meteorological names.Murielle is the French version of 'Muriel', which in the form of 'Meriel' was very common in mediaeval England.
8 Aug 1919: Launched for Admiralty service (Admy. no. 4165). Sold to mercantile in same year.
26 Jun 1924: GLOSS of Boulogne to that port, after collision with Cardiff MARION MERRETT (815 grt), which proceeded to Antwerp. [The Times, Friday 27th June 1924.] (Thanks to Gil Mayes.)
28 Sep 1941: Damaged by mine, 9 miles SW by S of Morecambe Bay lightship/bigger>/bigger>/fontfamily>; sank 3 miles W by N of Blackpool Tower, while in tow by OCEAN DAWN YH47 .
4 Oct 1941: Lowestoft register closed.
[Thanks to Gil Mayes.]
Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed:
(M248) 22 Aug 1922. Sold to French subjects.
(M131) 15 Aug 1932. Transferred to Lowestoft owners.
Back to Trawlers 1915-1939