Thanks to Gil Mayes, Andy Hall, George Westwood and Chris Petherbridge, and for more notes below.
Official No: 98747 Port Number and Year: 37th in Hull, 1891 (H149)
- in Fleetwood, 1907 (FD146)
- in Glasgow, 1908 (GW24)
- in Aberdeen, 1912 (A469)
11th in Lowestoft, 1919 (LT378)
11th in Milford, 1930
Description: Iron side trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Drifting and lining. Ketch rigged: mizzen sail.
Crew: 9 men (1891)
Registered at Milford: 12 Jun 1930
Built: 1891, by Cochrane, Cooper and Schofield, Beverely. (Yard no. 56)
Tonnage: 153.49 grt 59.3 net. 1 Jan 1914: 62.75 net. (Merchant Shipping Act 1907.)
Length / breadth / depth (feet): 101.0 / 20.5 / 11.0
Engine: Compound direct acting vertical, C.2-Cyl. 45 nhp. 10.0 kts.
Engine and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co., Hull
8 Jul 1891: Pickering & Haldane's Steam Trawling Co., St. Andrews Dock, Hull.
Manager: Henry Alfred Lees Russell, 144 Havelock St., Hull.
18 Feb 1907: Deep Sea Trawlers Ltd., Fleetwood.
Manager: Arthur Thomas Liver.
6 Mar 1907: Registered as FD146
11 Mar 1908: Charles Finley Paton, 25 East Clyde St., Glasgow.
Apr 1908: As GW24
18 Jun 1912: John Baxter, Robert Baxter, Arthur Baxter.
Managing owner: William Baxter (Junr.), 4 North Sq., Footdee, Aberdeen.
29 Sep 1917: James Johnson, 66 Columbus Ravine, Scarborough.
22 Mar 1918: Johnson's Trawlers Ltd., Scarborough.
(Directors: R. W.Parker, G. H. Wardell, J. Johnson, D. Chew and R. W. Crawford.)
5 Mar 1919 : Wallace L. Mullender, 468 London Rd. South, Lowestoft. (And others.)
1923: Arthur B. Cullen, High St., Lowestoft. (And others.)
Manager: Wallace L. Mullender, 468 London Rd., South Lowestoft.
1926: Colis Durrant, 129 Clapham Rd., Lowestoft. (And others.)
17 May 1930: Lowestoft register closed.
May 1930: Edward James Hellings, 5 Hamilton Tce., Milford
12 Jun 1930: M87.
5 Jul 1933: James Henry Gough, Docks, Milford.
Landed at Milford: (LT378) 29 Mar - 14 May 1930;
(M87) 12 Jun 1930 - 5 Nov 1931.
20 Dec 1892: Waiting the tide at anchor off St. Andrew’s Dock, Hull, when bringing the anchor onboard, wire slipped and knocked overboard the mate, Albert Edward Batty. He held on to wire and was brought back on deck but discovered that deckhand, Joseph Farrer of Beverley who was assisting was missing, presumed knocked overboard at the same time. A search was made in the water but there was no sign of him. On docking Batty was taken home suffering from hip contusion and bruised back.
20 Oct 1898: On a North Sea trip (Sk. S. Manthorpe) in heavy seas and gale force winds off Aberdeenshire coast, fell in with German steamer Estland (1169grt/1883), Blyth for Hantsholm, Denmark, cargo coals, which had sprung a leak. Master requested that crew be taken off and the Kittiwake mate, G. Spofford and third hand, J. Wells made three boat journeys to the ship to take off all sixteen crew before vessel foundered.
22 Oct 1898: Landed survivors at Hull.
31 Jan 1901: Arrived Grimsby with steam trawler Venetia (GY1127) picked up in North Sea disabled with engine problems and rudder broken.
11 Sep 1902: Arrived Hull (Sk. Bentley), reported having been in collision in North Sea with an unknown vessel sustaining damage to bow and rail.
29 May 1917: Requisitioned for the Fishery Reserve.
1919: Released to owners.
30 Jun 1928: In Cardigan Bay (Sk. Harry Reeve) in gale force winds and rough seas, and with great difficulty, rescued the four crew of a Southampton flying boat (No.1125) which ditched 22 miles west of Bardsey Island with engine problems after taking off from Pembroke Dock for Piel, Walney Island. Called Point Lynas to inform authorities and proceeded to Fleetwood to land survivors. (1 Jan 1929: Harry Reeve was presented with a silver cup by the Mayor of Bournemouth Borough Council. The award was given on "behalf of the Air Council in acknowledgement of the able seamanship and skill displayed by him." on rescuing the crew of the Southampton Flying Boat in Cardigan Bay on 30th June last.)
15 Nov 1928: In collision with steam trawler Dover (LT93), causing damage.
Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 14 Nov 1933. Broken up at Ward's Yard, Castle Pill.
[Lofthouse T., Mayes G., Newton D., & Thompson M. (2012): Cochrane Shipbuilders Vol.1: 1884 - 1914.]
Back to Trawlers 1915-1939