SAMUEL DAWSON M255
Official No: 144368 Port Number and Year: 74th in London, 1920 (LO327)
9th in Milford, 1922
Description: Castle Class steel side trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged: mainsail and mizzen.
Crew: 10 men
Registered at Milford: 22 Nov 1922
Built: 1919 by J. P. Rennoldson & Sons, South Shields. (Yard no. 316)
Tonnage: 275.56 grt 113.06 net.
Length / breadth / depth (feet): 125.4 / 23.4 / 12.65
Engine: T 3-Cyl. 70 nhp.10 kts. Engine by builders and boiler by Palmer Shipbuilding Co., Henley on Tyne. (1939: Oil engine; 4 S.C.SA; 6 Cyl; 70 nhp; by Klöckner-Humboldt-Dentz A.G., Köln-Deutz.)
10 Feb 1920: The Secretary of the Admiralty, Whitehall, London SW1.
Oct 1921: Allocated to the Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd., London. (See below.)
17 Nov 1922: Morgan Watkin Howells, 19 St. Ann's Rd., Hakin. (Managing owner.)
John McRae Knight, 'Craigland', Wellington Rd., Hakin.
22 Nov 1922: As M255
As SAN JUAN
8 Oct 1926: T. Lerchundi y Hijos, San Sebastian.
1933: G. F. Hadzidakis, Piraeus.
1939: Mme. Maria G. Kalogerakou, Piraeus.
1940: P. S. Stavroulias, Piraeus.
Landed at Milford: 14 Dec 1922 - 27 Sep 1926
Samuel Dawson, age 35, born Liverpool; Armourer's Mate, HMS ROYAL SOVEREIGN, Trafalgar.
1919: Built for Admiralty service (Admy. no. 4486).
5 Feb 1920: Completed as a fishing vessel ex fishing gear, for sale to mercantile.
Oct 1920: Fitted out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100A1, Steam Trawler at Aberdeen.
Jan 1921: Allocated to the Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London.
Jan 1922: Scheme abandoned; the necessary working capital of £100,000 having not been subscribed. 17 Oct 1922: Advertised for sale.
Apr 1941: Bombed by aircraft off Evoikos.
[ Thanks for the information in 1920-22 supplied by Gil Mayes. ]
Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 8 Oct 1926. Vessel sold to Spanish owners.
Back to Trawlers 1914-39