Official No:  106703    Port Number and Year: 28th in Hull (H344), 1896

                                                                                  9th in Cardiff (CF22), 1899

                                                                                  1st in Milford, 1919

Description: Iron beam trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged: foresail, mainsail and mizzen

Crew:  9 men (1919).

Registered at Milford: 1 Feb 1919 

Built: 1896; by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley.  (Yard no. 165)

Tonnage: 150.26 grt  57 net (1914: 63.07 net.)

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 101.5 / 20.8 / 10.7

Engine: T 3-Cyl. 45 hp.10 kts.  Engine and boiler: Charles David Holmes & Co., Hull



As H324

23 Jun 1896:  Alfred Barrett, Marble Hall Rd., Milford. (Skipper. Died 8th October 1898.)

Managing owner: John William Wilkins, 'Marine Villa', Murray Cres., Milford.


As CF22

18 Mar 1899: Messrs. Neale & West, Hope Street, Cardiff.

(Joshua J. Neale, Penarth, Cardiff.)


Jan 1911: Arthur. E. Campbell, 39 Werneth Hall Rd., Oldham, Lancs.

Manager: David G. Jones, Docks, Milford.


By 1914: David G. Jones, Docks, Milford.

Managing owner.


1918: John McRae Knight, 'Craiglyn', Wellington Rd., Hakin.  

Managing owner.         

1 Feb 1919: As M3.



20 Jul 1921: Pesquera Malagueña, S.A., Malaga.


1931: Ramon de Carranza, Malaga.


Landed at Milford:  As H264: 7 Jul 1896 - 4 Mar 1899.

As CF22: 17 Jan 1911 - 25 Jan 1919. 

As M3: 5 Feb - 17 Dec 1919; 14 Sep 1920 - 20 Jul 1921.


Barrett 1896-98; Dove 1898, 99, 1900; Gray 1898, 99; Crisby 1899.  W. Reynolds 1919.


1917: Fishery trawler; renamed ALERT IV

1919: Returned to owners; renamed ALERT

1920: New deck.

Nov 1969: Broken up at Pasajes.

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 20 Jul 1921. Sold to Spanish owners.

 Accidents and Incidents

From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 3rd August 1898:



    Capt. Setterfield, of the trawler "BIuejacket"; Capt. Alfred Barrett, of the trawler "Alert"; and Capt. Edward Leeder, of the trawler "Boronia," were charged with attempting to enter Milford Docks at a time when the entry signals on the flagstaff were lowered.

    The defendants did not appear.

    Mr W. G. Eaton-Evans appeared to prosecute. He said under the Milford Docks Act of 1874 the defendants were liable to a penalty not exceeding £20. On the 4th of July, Barret and Setterfield committed the offence complained of. In racing into the docks they might have brought the dock gates on the top of them, which would have crushed their vessels, and let all the water out of the docks. The damage would have amounted to many hundred thousand pounds. The offence by Leeder was on the 18th of July.

    William Joseph James, dock-master, stated that he was on duty about 4.15 on the morning of July 4th. There were eight trawlers outside, including the Alert and Bluejacket. Just before the gates were opened the Bluejacket lay in the position for entering first, but as soon as there was daylight the Alert started off full speed ahead, and the Bluejacket did the same. By the time they got to the gates the Alert had overtaken the Bluejacket and there were only a few feet between them. They did not keep the flag down one second more than was necessary. If the gates were injured so they could not use them then all the water ran out of the docks. There was a fancied benefit on getting into the docks first. It was imagined that the vessels which arrived at the market first sometimes got a better price. There was a lot of chasing round the harbour, but in the majority of cases it was by the young and inexperienced captains. On the 8th of July he saw the Boronia racing into the docks in the same way. He hailed the captain to be careful what he was about. The gates were only half open, and the flag was not up.

    Mr Evans asked for a serious penalty.

    Dr. Griffith said those were the first cases that had been brought before them, and as they considered the offence very serious the three defendants would be fined £1 each and costs. If any similar cases were brought before them again the fines would be very different.

    Mr Evans said according to the Act the fines were to be handed over to the Company.

    Dr. Griffith: I hope to some charitable purpose.

    Mr Evans: They intend doing that, sir.

    Dr. Griffith: The Police Superannuation Fund.



From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 26th October 1898:

    DEATH OF CAPTAIN BARRETT.—  We regret to record the death of Captain Barrett, one of the first and most successful captains known at Milford, which occurred on the 8th inst., at Priory Road. Deceased came to Milford about 8 years ago in the smack called "Young Alfred," his own property. He was in the employ of the "Castle" Co., until two years ago when he became owner with Mr Wilkin of the steam trawler, Alert. On the sea from a boy, being apprenticed from one of the homes in London, he made headway at Hull, becoming captain before he was 21 years of age. He filled the position of captain of carriers, and admiral of the fishing fleet at Hull. In Milford, deceased was highly respected, especially amongst the fishermen, who attended his funeral, which was one of the largest known in Milford, all the fishermen in the Docks following. Deceased's age was 46, and the cause of death heart disease and pulmonary congestion. He leaves a wife and four children, two being married. His son is a mate on a steam trawler, but secured his captain's certificate a month ago. Mr Barrett had the reputation of being the most fearless captain on the Milford fleet, and all who came in contact with him were impressed with his geniality and courtesy.


From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 11th January 1911:


    The steam trawler "Alert" has recently been sold to Messrs. Neale and West of Cardiff, and has returned to Milford.  She will be under the management of Mr. D. G. Jones.  The "Alert" was formerly owned by Mr J. W. Wilkin and the late Captain Barrett.  In her day she had been a very successful boat, and now she is sailing out of this port it is hoped the vessel will again do well.



From the Haverfordwest & Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 19th November 1913:


    On Monday morning the steam trawler "Alert", one of the oldest fishing vessels out of the port, arrived back in dock with her flag flying at half mast, and reported the death under sad circumstances of the veteran skipper Richard Saunderson. The "Alert", which is managed by Mr D. G. Jones, only left for the fishing grounds on Friday, and about five-thirty on Sunday afternoon the vessel was off Mine Head, on the Irish Coast.  Skipper Saunderson was in the wheelhouse, and the mate, a relative, Mr James Buck, had just relieved him at the wheel, and they were talking over matters concerning the fishing.  The skipper then threw his head back gently as if to gaze up at the overhead compass and then quietly slipped onto his knees. The mate surmised at once that there was something wrong and laying him down he found that the skipper had expired. They then set a course for home. 

    On arrival at Milford the body was removed to the deceased's home in Brooke Avenue. The sad affair caused quite a stir of gloom over the Docks and fishing fraternity.  The deceased was probably the oldest master fisherman in the port, and had been to sea since he was a boy of fourteen. He had been working out of Milford for over twenty years, and had come to the port from Scarborough.  At the time of his death he was sixty-one years old. He was highly respected and was one of the best liked of skippers. In the old "Alert" he did remarkably well. His death removes another of the old pioneer skippers.  He leaves a widow and grown up family with whom much sympathy is felt. We understand that no inquest will be held as deceased had for some time been medically treated, and death was due to heart failure.



Back to Trawlers 1915-1939