John Stevenson Collection

Official No:  113235   Port Number and Year:  13th in Grimsby, 1902  (GY1235)

                                                                                12th in Milford, 1929.

Description: Iron side trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged: foresail, mainsail and mizzen.

Crew:  9 men (1904).

Registered at Milford: 4 Nov 1929

Built: 1902 by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley.  (Yard no. 329 [13])

Tonnage: 180.86 grt  46 net  (1914: 70.22 net.)

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 108.7 / 21.0 / 11.2

Engine: T 3-Cyl. 62 rhp.10 kts.  1902, by Amos & Smith, Albert Docks, Hull.



As ELK GY1235

30 Oct 1902: Thomas E. Fisher, 'Oakroyd', Abbey Park Rd., Grimsby.

Managing owner.


1914: Morris & Fisher Ltd., Auckland Rd., Fish Docks, Grimsby.

Manager: Thomas E. Fisher.


2 Sep 1918: Victoria Steam Fishing Co., Fish Docks, Grimsby.

Manager: William Hill.


As M36

14 Nov 1929: Oliver Curphey, 'Red Croft',  St. Anne's Rd., Hakin.

Managing owner.


21 Jun 1932: William Henry Edward Nichols, 40 Stillman St., Plymouth.

Managing owner.


Landed at Milford: 4 Oct 1929 - 12 Jan 1932



Dec 1914: Requisitioned and converted to minesweeper (Admy. No. 706). 1x3pdr.

1917: Reduced to the Fishery reserve.

1918: As ELK II. (Reverted to ELK on return to owners.)

14 Oct 1929: Grimsby registry closed.

Oct 1939: Requisitioned and converted to Dan Layer P.No.4.24.

27 Nov 1940.  Mined off Penlee Point, Cornwall.  No loss of life. (Skipper J.S. Bush.)

[ http://www.submerged.co.uk/elk%20trawler.php ]

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 16 Oct 1941

Accidents and Incidents

From a local newspaper dated c. 20th August 1931:


    On Monday* morning, the Milford steam trawler "Kenneth McRae" towed into the docks another Milford trawler, the S.T." Elk",  owned by Messrs Curphey and Son. The "Elk" had broken down while engaged in fishing off the Hats and Barrels.  She had trouble down in the engine room through a circulating pump not operating.  Luckily the "Kenneth McRae" was working the same area of fishing grounds and came up to offer assistance, which was accepted and resulted in her coming alongside, passing a warp out and commencing the tow back  to Milford docks.


[*17th August - both KENNETH MCRAE and ELK landed on that date.]


    Back to Trawlers 1915-1939