Official No: 105534  Port Number and Year:  26th in Grimsby, 1895 (GY1)

                                                                                7th in Milford, 1930.

Description: Iron side trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged: foresail, mainsail, mizzen

Crew:  9 men (1895); 10 men (1920).

Registered at Milford: 9 Apr 1930

Built: 1895, by Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley.  (Yard no. 138)

Tonnage: 153.71 grt  63.04 net. (1914: 65 net.)

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 102.7 / 20.5 / 11.0

Engine: T-3Cyl.; 50 nhp; 9.5 kts., by C.D. Holmes & Co., Hull.



As GY1

20 Nov 1895: Thomas W. Baskcombe and H. L. Taylor, Dockland Rd., Fish Docks, Grimsby.

Managing owner: T. Baskcombe.


1904: Henry L. Taylor, 464 Cleethorpes Rd., Grimsby.

Managing owner.


Jun 1920: Taylor Steam Fishing Co. Ltd., Fish Docks, Grimsby.

Manager: Henry L. Taylor.


Mar 1930:  William Wilcox, 22 Greville Rd., Milford.

Managing owner.*

9 Apr 1930: As M83


Landed at Milford:  20 Apr 1930 - 2 Jan 1937

Skippers: Charles Setterfield (1935)


The first Cochrane built fitted with electric lighting.

24 Nov 1897: Deckhand F. Johnson lost overboard in North Sea gale. [Evening Express, 1 Dec 1897.]

29 May 1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.  1919: Released.

15 Jan 1937: Laid up in Milford Docks; in February under tow to be broken up.

* According to MNL; otherwise David Pettit as manager, and from 10 Sep 1934, H. Westenborg as manager.

[Lofthouse T., Mayes G., Newton D., & Thompson M. (2012): Cochrane Shipbuilders Vol.1: 1884 - 1914.]

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 15 Apr 1937.

Accidents and Incidents

From The Irish Times, of 26th July 1930; p.9:




    When a Milford Haven motor trawler, the Alovla [sic; AVOLA M77] which had been trawling off the South Irish coast, went on fire off Dunmore last Thursday evening, the crew of six had an exciting experience in effecting their escape.  Three of them were cut off by flames in a cabin, egress only being possible through the skylight.  By piling furniture, boxes and every available article on top of each other other they succeeded on getting through the aperture, but they had to leave all their belongings behind.  In the meantime their three companions were experiencing a trying time in fighting the flames and smoke.  Realising that the position was hopeless, the six members of the crew took to a small boat, and ere later picked up by the trawler Emu, also of Milford Haven, and landed safely at Dunmore, where Lloyd's Agent at Waterford took charge of them.


    For four hours the villagers of Dunmore watched the vessel on the horizon, a burning mass, enveloped in thick fumes.  The crew landed at the pier at 8 o'clock in the evening, just in time to take a last look at their vessel before she sank.

    The crew were in a small boat making for Dunmore when they were picked up by the Emu, and had then been several hours in the water.  They were making only slow progress, and their difficulty was being increased by the approach of darkness when the Emu arrived.

    Yesterday morning the crew arrived in Waterford, where Mr. Jacob had them provided for at the David Beatty Rest.



From an unknown local newspaper dated c. 6th June 1935:


    The Milford steam trawler Emu (owner Mr William Wilcox) had a remarkable haul, which incidentally tested the vessel's strength to the utmost, whilst fishing 15 miles off the Coningbeg Bank in the Atlantic on Thursday morning.  Hauling in the trawl, the crew were amazed to find a huge steel mast in the net.  They endeavoured to haul it aboard by making fast to the Emu's mainmast which, owing to the severe strain, cracked off at the stem and crashed onto the trawler's deck.  Fortunately the men were able to get clear.  Simultaneously the steel mast, together with the fishing gear slipped back into the sea, and the "catch" was lost.

    "It was a most remarkable experience," said the Skipper of the trawler, Mr Charles Setterfield.  "I have fished over the same fishing ground numerous times without coming foul of this particular object.  The steel mast looked as clean as a new pin."

    The Emu landed at Milford's Fish Market on Friday morning, when this experience was reported.




From an unknown local newspaper from the week beginning 18th October 1936:


    Four fine specimens of sturgeon were landed on Milford's Fish Market on Thursday last from the s.t. "Emu" (owner, W. Wilcox).  They weighed from 8 to 5 stone each and were caught in the Channel off Caldey Island.  They were the first of the Royal fish to be landed at Milford for some time. 

    They were bought for London by Messrs. Stanley Pibel, Ltd., and Messrs. H. Burrow and Co., Ltd.



From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 19th February 1937:


    The steam trawler Emu, which formerly belonged to Mr. W. Wilcox, and has been lying idle for some time, has left the Dock in tow for the ship-breaking yard.




Back to Trawlers 1915-39