As H753

John Stevenson Collection

Official No:  118760   Port Number and Year:  75th in Hull, 1903  (H753)

                                                                                10th in Milford, 1930.

Description: Iron side trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged: mizzen sail

Crew:  10 / 11 men

Registered at Milford: 26 May 1930

Built: 1903; by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley.  (Yard no. 32)

Tonnage: 180.93 grt  63 net.  (1914: 70.76 net.)

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 109 / 21.5 / 11

Engine: T 3-Cyl. 46 rhp.10 kts.  1903, by Amos & Smith, Albert Docks, Hull



As H573

14 Sep 1903:  The Great Northern Steamship Fishing Co., St. Andrew's Dock, Hull

Manager: William R. Nowell, 2 Kensington Villas, Hessle Rd., Hull. (1903-13)

                    Fred Smith, 40 De la Pole Ave., Hull. (1913-18)


1918: The Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co., Hull.

Manager: Joseph Vivian, St. Andrew's Dock, Hull. (1918-28)

                Robert Burton, St. Andrew's Dock, Hull. (1928-30)


26 May 1930: Harry Eastoe Rees, Docks, Milford.

Managing owner.

8 Jun 1930: As M90


23 Oct 1936: Gwenllian Howell, 'Havenhurst', The Rath, Milford.

Charles Edward Morris, 'Rathbank', The Rath, Milford.

Managing owner: Harry Eastoe Rees, 'Mirador House', The Rath, Milford.


15 Apr 1937: Gwenllian Howell, Docks, Milford.

Managing owner: Harry Eastoe Rees, Docks, Milford.



7 Apr 1943: James F. Gwyther, 23, Hamilton Tce., Milford.

Managing owner: Harry Eastoe Rees, Docks, Milford.


10 Jul 1947: James F. Gwyther.   ) 23, Hamilton Tce.,

Mary Margaret Gwyther,           )      Milford.

Managing owner: Harry Eastoe Rees, Docks, Milford.


8 Sep 1952: Doris Emma Rees, 'Mirador House', The Rath, Milford.

Mary Margaret Gwyther, 23, Hamilton Tce., Milford.


Landed at Milford: (H573) 30 Apr 1930; (M90) 8 Jun 1930 - 14 Jan 1949

Skippers: John Foster (1930s) [See below] Walter Perry (1940); Frederick J. Dawes (1945)


May 1915: Requisitioned by Admiralty. (Admy. no. 1776).  1 x 2 pdr.

1919: Returned to owners.

12 Aug 1940: Bombed off the Smalls.  [ See below. ]

14 Jan 1949:  Laid up until broken up.

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 10 Dec 1952.  Broken up at Grays.

Accidents and Incidents

From an unknown local newspaper, dated c. 16th February 1939:


    The death took place on Friday last at his house, Prioryville Approach, of Skipper John Foster, at the age of 51 years.  He had been in poor health for some time.  He was for a considerable time skipper of the "Ermine".  He hailed from Lowestoft, and leaves a widow and several children.



From an unknown local newspaper, dated c.15th August 1940:


    On Tuesday morning three more Milford trawlers arrived in port bearing visible marks of contact with Nazi planes at sea.  The vessels were fishing peacefully when the enemy appeared and dropped bombs, which fortunately missed their mark, though the effect of the explosions were felt.

    Chagrined by their lack of bombing skill, the Nazis resorted to their usual cowardly methods by attacking the helpless fishermen, and relentlessly machine-gunned them.  Evidence of this is to be seen on each side of the trawlers.  Worse still, at least three men were severely wounded. 

    Skipper Walter Perry, of 16, Greville Road, received a nasty flesh wound, whilst his boatswain, Fred McKay, 23, Prioryville, was badly wounded in both legs.  He was on watch in the wheelhouse at the time of the attack.  He had to be taken to hospital.  The other injured man was George Turrel, chief engineer on another trawler.  He was wounded in the legs and arms.

    The other trawler, belonging to the same firm, was the River Ythan.


From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 16th August 1940:


    For the third successive week, Milford trawlers have been attacked by Nazi bombers.  Their names, owners and skippers were: s.t. "Ermine" (H.E. Rees and Company), Skipper Walter Perry, Greville Road, Milford; s.t. "Kernevel" and s.t. "River Ythan" (Yolland and Llewellin); Skippers J. Cheyney, Point Street, Hakin, and W. Davies, Picton Road, Hakin, respectively.

    Only one of the bombs came dangerously close to a trawler ("River Ythan").  It hit and split the mizzen boom, then dropped onto the leading tackle rope and glanced off into the sea astern before exploding.  The bombing having failed, the Nazis machine gunned the defenceless fishermen, and when the three trawlers docked at Milford bullet holes could be seen all over them.

    The "Ermine" was bombed and machine gunned for twenty minutes, and the boatswain, Mr. Fred McKay, Prioryville, on watch on the bridge at the time, had a bullet through one knee, while the other leg was also injured.  He was taken to the County Hospital.

    Skipper Walter Perry and Mr. George Turrell, chief engineer on the "Kernevel", were also slightly wounded.


[ The three trawlers were all attacked by aircraft off the Smalls on 12th August.]



Back to Trawlers 1915-39