Official No:  143517    Port Number and Year:  43rd in Cardiff, 1920 (CF66)

                                                                                 15th in Milford, 1929

                                                                                    -    in Aberdeen, 1952 (A711)

Description: Castle Class steel side trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Spanish (Pareja) trawling in 1946.  Ketch rigged: mizzen sail

Crew:  10 - 12 men

Registered at Milford: 19 Dec 1929

Built: 1920; by Cook, Welton & Gemmel, Beverley.  (Yard no. 427)

Tonnage: 281.53 grt  110.2 net.

Length / breadth / depth (feet):  128.5  / 23.5 / 12.6

Engine: T 3-Cyl. 85 rhp.10.5 kts.  Engine and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co., Hull



As CF66

1920: Neale & West Ltd., Hope St., Cardiff.

Managers: Wilfred Neale, Morley H. Neale, and Joshua Neale. (Same address; 1920-26).

Morley H. Neale, 'Haldon', Clinton Rd., Penarth;     (1927-

Joshua S. Neale, 'Skomer', Marine Parade, Penarth. -1929)


As M39

19 Dec 1929: Joseph Samuel Pettit, 'Wayneflete', The Rath, Milford (32/64)

Managing owner: Frank Leslie Youds, 32 Dartmouth St., Milford. (32/64)


17 Jul 1939:  Pettit & Youds, Docks, Milford

Managing owner: Frank Leslie Youds, 32 Dartmouth St., Milford.


23 Jan 1946: Pair Fishing Co. Ltd., (M. Laboa & H.J. Horwood), Docks, Milford.

Managing owner: Henry J. Horwood.



24 Mar 1952: Craig Stores (Aberdeen), North Esplanade, East Aberdeen

Managing owner: Joseph Craig.


Landed at Milford: (CF66) 12 Oct - 3 Dec 1929;

(M39) 18 Dec 1929 - 29 Aug 1939;  5 Jan 1946 - 17 May 1949

Skippers: Nichols (1933); Thomas R. Owston (1937)


Baron Goro Ijuin, born 1861; Japanese Fleet Admiral, invested with GCVO by King George in 1918; died 1924.

1918: Laid down for Admiralty, as JAMES BAIRD, but cancelled.

1920: Completed as a fishing vessel, and named IJUIN.

30 Aug 1939: Requisitioned and converted to minesweeping duties.

16 Nov 1939: Commissioned (P.No. FY.612) and deployed to Portland.

July 1943: Refitted and rearmed at Southampton, and returned to Portland.

1944: Converted to Dan Layer and joined 9th Minesweeping Flotilla.  Took part in D-Day Landings in June, off Juno Beach. (Skipper T. W. Doddington, R.N.R.)

Feb 1945: Refitted in Southampton by Thorneycroft and employed in Channel Sweeping.

May 1945: Transferred to Ardrossan for sweeping the Clyde, then to Swansea to sweep Bristol Channel.

Aug 1945: Paid off and reduced to the Reserve.

5 Jan 1946: Returned to owners.

Jun 1949: Fishing out of Aberdeen. (See local newspaper article below.)

Nov 1959: Broken up in Belgium.

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 24 Mar 1952.

Accidents and Incidents

From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 16th October 1931:


    The steam trawler "Ijuin" put into Milford Docks at 9.30 p.m. on Friday and landed Mr Joy, the bosun, who had been severely injured about the head. The trawler was on the fishing grounds about forty five miles out when the bosun was found lying on the deck with severe cuts about the head, but how they were caused could not be ascertained. He was brought in and received attention from Doctor Williams, and was then sent on to the County Hospital, Haverfordwest. He was found to be seriously injured about the head, seven stitches being necessary.



From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 24th March 1933:


    Towed back to Milford by her sister ship on Sunday was the steam trawler "Ijuin", owners Messrs. Pettit and Youds.  She was towed into harbour by the steam trawler "Hirose".  It was found that the rudder of the "Ijuin"  was very badly damaged.  The vessel, which is in command of skipper Nichols, became disabled out on the Atlantic fishing grounds, and the vessel's voyage in consequence was seriously curtailed. Both trawlers landed at the fish market on Monday.



From the Western Telegraph & Cymric Times of Wednesday 16th June 1937:


Killed on his last Voyage.

    When within twenty miles of his home port on what was to have been his last voyage, Mr William Youds, the 64 year old Chief Engineer of the Milford steam Trawler  "Ijuin", met with a fatal accident just before mid-day on Wednesday when the trawler was steaming full steam ahead.  Chief Engineer Youds, it appears, slipped forward when examining the engines and was struck on the head by the pump feed and died within ten minutes.

    The "Ijuin" docked about four thirty on Wednesday after noon. Mr Youds, who lived at 32, Dartmouth Street, Milford, came to the port about thirty years ago, and had since worked on the local trawlers.  The "Ijuin"   is part owned by his son Mr Frank Youds, the well known sportsman.

    John James Stephenson, 89, High Street, Pembroke Dock, a fireman on the "Ijuin", said that the Chief, Mr Youds, was in the engine room at 11.15 a.m. "When I came back ten minutes later," said witness, "he was lying stretched out on the plates of the engine room.  I thought he had fainted."

    Thomas Richard Owston, The Lodge, Priory Road, Skipper of the steam vessel "Ijuin", said the vessel was home ward bound from the fishing grounds.



From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 19th April 1946:


    Two more super-castle trawlers will join the fleet when the Iceland fishing season ends.  They are the "Maretta" (Iago Steam Trawling Co., Fleetwood), and the "James Barrie" of Hull.  Both boats have been purchased by the Pair Fishing Company to join the "Ijuin" and the "Sir Thomas Lister".

    The "Maretta", 135 feet long, was built in 1929, and the "James Barrie", launched in 1928, is owned by the Newington Steam Company, Hull, for whom she has fished since her commissioning.  Both are coal burners, and their purchase is another proof of the Milford trend towards a bigger class of fishing vessel.


[ The vessel named as SIR THOMAS LISTER is the SIR JOHN LISTER.  The JAMES BARRIE H460, built 1928, 338 grt, did not fish out of Milford. ]



From The Scotsman of Wednesday 5th November 1947, p.6:



Fishing Again Interrupted

    Stormy weather again interfered with fishing off the West Coast of Scotland yesterday, when a north-westerly gale kept the Oban fishing fleet in port.


    The Milford Haven trawler, Injuin [sic], went ashore on the rocks when trying to enter Ayr Harbour yesterday, in rough weather.  She was able to get off safely and the services of Troon life-boat and  Ayr life-saving brigade, which were called out by coastguards, were not required.



From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 10th October 1948:


    In the fishing doldrums at the moment, Milford is seething with rumours about trawler sales, but owners who have seen these vicissitudes before are not unduly alarmed about the situation.  Even so, several of them are looking further afield, and Iceland and Spanish fishing are likely to figure prominently in the port's activities during the next 12 months.


    The Ijuin (Pair Fishing Co.) is up for sale, while last week we reported that the Cotswold has been sold by Messrs. Tilbrook to Messrs. Yolland and Llewellin, now Yolland Bros.



From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 24th June 1949:


    The Milford trawler William Brady (Milford Fisheries) will leave the port next week to fish out of Aberdeen, where another boat of the Fisheries fleet, the Craig An Eran, is already based.  It is understood that other vessels may follow suit, and although no confirmation can be obtained locally, we gather that the reason for the move centres around the fact that running expenses at Milford are heavier than in other ports on the West Coast.

    The local trawler Ijuin (Pair Fishing Company) is now out of Aberdeen, while the steam trawler St. Lucia (Mr. R. P. Lewis) is landing at Fleetwood.  Seen on Thursday Mr. Owen Willie Limbrick would neither confirm or deny the rumours.




Back to Trawlers 1915-1939