JAMES GREEN M252
E & F M252
Official No: 143866 Port Number and Year: - in London, 1920 (LO329)
6th in Milford, 1922
Description: Castle Class steel side trawler; steam screw, coal burning.
Crew: 10 men (1922); 11 men (1925).
Registered at Milford: 19 Jul 1922.
Built: Smith Docks Co., South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesborough, in 1917. (Yard no. 716)
Tonnage: 275.13 grt 107.43 net
Length / breadth / depth (feet): 125.5 / 23.4 / 12.85
Engine: T 3-Cyl. 87 rhp. 10 kts. Engine by builders.
As JAMES GREEN LO329.
13 Feb 1920: The Secretary of the Admiralty, Whitehall, London SW1.
19 Jul 1922: David Pettit, 'Westcliff', Wellington Rd., Hakin, Milford. (64/64)
27 Sep 1922: William George Hewer, 8 Roseland Tce., St. Thomas', Swansea.
Managing owner: Henry James Hewer, 75 Waterloo Rd., Hakin, Milford.
19 Dec 1925: As E & F M252.
29 Jun 1933: Mrs. Elizabeth Anne Heck Owens, 'Westcliff', Wellington Rd., Hakin.
12 Oct 1939: J. Marr & Son Ltd, 228 Dock St, Fleetwood.
Manager: Geoffrey E. Marr, "Rookwood", Holmfield Ave., Cleveleys.
Landed at Milford: (As JAMES GREEN) 23 Feb 1923 - 21 Oct 1925.
(As E & F) 31 Oct 1925 - 25 Sep 1939
Skippers: Henry Hewer 6526 (1922); Henry Pride (1922); John Beckett.
James Green, age 30, born Weymouth; Gunner's Mate, HMS NEPTUNE, Trafalgar.
E & F were the initials of the owners' wives' Christian names - Ethel and Fanny Hewer.
29 May 1940: Requisitioned for war service and converted for anti-submarine duties.
Nov 1940: Fitted out as a boom defence vessel (P.No. Z.240). 1x12pdr. AA
28 Dec 1943: "Vessel acquired by the Minister of War Transport on behalf of His Majesty. Registry no longer required."
1944: Based at Portsmouth, renamed LAVEROCK.
Mar 1946: Transferred to Ministry of Transport.
24 Jan 1947: Broken up to Marine Metals Ltd., at London.
Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 28 Dec 1943.
Accidents and Incidents:
From the West Wales Guardian, Friday 6th June 1923:
During the recent weeks several Milford steam trawlers have been experimenting with a newly patented French fishing trawl, which some people declare will eventually supersede the old British trawl. It is understood that the cost of using this new arrangement is a heavy burden upon the owners, because a certain sum has been paid each day for the liberty of using this French trawl, but apparently a much greater return of fish is being secured by its use. The French trawl is much larger than the one in common use, and it is so completed that with the use of bottles on the line the top of the net does not go below the surface.
It is used aboard the "Callancroft", "Thomas Bartlett", "James Green" and some other trawlers. On her last trip the first named secured 220 kits of hake, the "Thomas Bartlett" about 400 kits and the "James Green" about 260 kits. This shows that the use of the new French trawl has caused supplies to be heavier.
From an unknown local newspaper from the week beginning 11th May 1930:
Three Milford trawlers were concerned in an exciting case of salvage off the Smalls on Sunday last. A steam hopper and tender was towing a big dredger from the port of Southampton to the Isle of Man and encountered bad weather in the Channel. In a strong wind, the towing warps parted and got entangled in the hopper's propeller and rendered the craft helpless. She was now being driven alongside the dredger, and the two vessels were badly damaged through the bumping caused by the roll of the sea. The Milford trawler "Ardent" (Pater Steam Trawling Company) came alongside and rendered assistance. She was followed by the steam trawler "E & F" (David Pettit, Limited), and the steam trawler "William Caldwell" (Mr. John Henry Dove). The "William Caldwell" took hold of the hopper and towed her to Milford, and arrived that afternoon, whilst the other two trawlers held on to the dredger, and they arrived in the Haven about 5.30 p.m. that day Both vessels were damaged and are now in Milford Docks undergoing repairs.
Back to Trawlers 1915-1939