Aground on Stack Rock, 28th October 1937 (see below)

John Stevenson Collection

Official No:  113163    Port Number and Year:  35th in  Grimsby, 1900  (GY1156)

                                                                                   8th in Milford, 1928

Description: Iron side trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged. 

Crew:  9 men (1900)

Registered at Milford: 8 Jul 1928

Built: 1900 by Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley.  (Yard no. 279)

Tonnage: 171.58 grt  54 net  (1914: 66.74 net.)

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 100.7 / 21.0 / 11.0

Engine: T 3-Cyl. 57 rhp. 10.5 kts.  Engine by John Cran & Co., South Shields, and boiler: by J. T. Eltringham & Co., South Shields



As GY1156

5 May 1900: Queen Steam Fishing Co. Ltd., Fish Docks, Grimsby.

Manager: Charles A. Osborne. (Same address.)


Sep 1925:  William H. Johnston, Fish Docks, Grimsby.

Managing owner.


Sep 1926:  Orontes Steam Fishing Co., Fish Docks, Grimsby.

Manager: William H. Johnston. (Same address.)


As M208

8 Jul 1928: Robert Gardner Yabsley, 49 Charles St., Milford.     (32/64)

Carl Rasmus Ebbesen, 30 Shakespeare Ave., Milford.                 (32/64)

Manager: David Pettit.


9 Nov 1934: Dorothy Penrose Beryl Pettit, 5 Charles St., Milford.

Manager: James Henry Gough.


9 Oct 1935:  Andrew Hanniford Wood Clark, 5 Charles St., Milford.

Manager: James Henry Gough.


Landed at Milford: 26 Jul 1928 - 29 Oct 1937



Dec 1914: Requisitioned by the Admiralty. (Admy. no. 687) 1x3pdr;1x2pdr.

1919: Returned to owners.

6 Jul 1928: Grimsby register closed.

19 Nov 1936 - 5 Feb 1937: Laid up.

Nov 1937: Ran aground on Stack Rock and refloated on the next tide, and returned to Milford.   [See photo above, and story below.]

1938: Sold for breaking up.

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 10 Mar 1938.  Broken up.

[Lofthouse T., Mayes G., Newton D., & Thompson M. (2012): Cochrane Shipbuilders Vol.1: 1884 - 1914.]

Accidents and Incidents:


The Times, Friday, Oct 29, 1937; pg. 27; Issue 47828; col F:


From Lloyd's

KENSINGTON. St. Ann's Head. Oct 28. Trawler Kensington grounded on Stack Rock, Milford, at about 1.30 a.m., but reports making no water.

    Milford Haven, Oct 28. Steam trawler Kensington, proceeding to sea last night, struck Stack Rock Fort, Milford Haven, and grounded on rocks near by, where she still remains.  Propeller, rudder, and stern damaged, but is reported not to be leaking.

    St. Ann's Head, Oct. 28. Trawler Kensington has refloated from Stack Rock and proceeded up harbour at 12.30 p.m.

    Milford Haven, Oct 28. Trawler Kensington floated high water today and was towed up harbour by local motor-boat.


From a local newspaper dated around 4th November 1937:


    In the early hours of Thursday morning the Milford steam Trawler "Kensington", owned by Mr A. Clarke, ran aground on Stack Rock, while steaming down the Harbour on her way to the fishing grounds. Though the vessel struck with a terrific crash it was found on inspection that she was not making water. The Skipper, Mr W. James, Hakin, sent up distress flares, and his signals were seen by the watch on H.M.S. "Glasgow", anchored not far away in Dale Roads, not more than a few cables length from Stack Rock itself. Immediately the Cruiser's search lights were brought to bear on the trawler "Kensington", and a pinnace put off to assist the crew.

    The "Kensington" was left high and dry as the tide receded, and canted over on the rocks. Skipper James and his crew of nine hands however decided to spend the night on the trawler.  At intervals during the darkness of the night, the cruiser "Glasgow" turned her search lights on the Stack Rock to keep a watch on any movements of the stranded ship. The trawler was floated off on the noon-day tide on Thursday and towed to Milford where she was taken into the Dry Dock. The trawler is managed by Mr. J. H. Gough, Dewsland Street.



Back to Trawlers 1915-39