Official No:  137765    Port Number and Year: 13th in Milford, 1920 (M158)

                                                                                  -     in Boulogne, 1923 (B958)

                                                                                  2nd in Milford, 1927 (M119)

                                                                                  -     in Lowestoft, 1932 (LT 327 )

Description: Steel side / beam trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged: mainsail and mizzen.

Crew:  9 men (1920; 1933).

Registered at Milford: 8 Sep 1920 (M158); 14 May 1927 (M119)

Built: 1919 by J. S. Watson, Gainsborough.

Tonnage: 95.99 grt  37.32 net.

Length / breadth / depth (feet):  86.2  / 18.5 / 9.3

Engine: T 3-Cyl. 42 hp. 9 kts. Engine: 1919 by William Beardmore, Coatbridge, Glasgow. Boiler: 1919, by Great Central Co-operative Engineering & Ship Building, Grimsby




8 Sep 1920: John Kirk, 8 Westcliff, Gainsborough, Brixham (48/64)

Managing owner: Edward Charles Edwards, Devon House, St. David's Rd., Milford (16/64).


11 Dec 1922: HM Commissioners executing the Office of Lord High Admiral.



6 Apr 1923: Beroud et Cie., Boulogne. 


As M119

14 May 1927: Edward James Hellings, Docks, Milford. (64/64)

Managing owner.



28 Jul 1932: G. & Arthur C. Mitchell (Jackora Ltd.), 'Stradbroke Lodge', The Rath, Milford.

Managing owner: A. C. Mitchell.


c.1947: C. N. Bray &  R. A. A. Hayman, Lowestoft.


[Continued fishing out of Milford from  5 Sep 1932 until 15 Dec 1954. See below for the possibility that a Milford publican, Fred Hoggins, may have been a part owner in 1950.  Milford manager unknown.]


Landed at Milford: As M158: 24 Sep 1920 - 13 Aug 1921.

As B958: 13 - 23 Mar 1927. 

As M119: 20 May 1927 - 19 Aug 1931.

As LT327: 5 Sep 1932 - 15 Dec 1954.

Skippers: J. Kirk (1920). Herbert Weymouth (1931). Fred S. Read


All WW1 Admiralty drifters, wood and steel, were named as natural or meteorological phenomena.

25 Sep 1919: Admiralty Steel Drifter, No. 4200.

3 Sep 1920: Ministry of Agriculture and Fishery.

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed:

CONFLAGRATION: 6 Apr 1923. "Vessel sold to foreigners (French subjects).  Advice received from Admiralty."

MADELEINE JEANNE: 27 Jul 1932.  Vessel transferred to the Lowestoft register.

Accidents and Incidents

From the West Wales Guardian of  Friday 30th January 1931:



Schooner And Crew Saved



    Capt. Weymouth, master of the Milford Haven s.t. Madeline Jeanne (Messrs. Hellings), landed on Friday and reported to the owners the salving of a schooner which was in danger of going on the rocks in the Irish Channel. He succeeded in towing the schooner safely into Fishguard harbour.

    The Millom Castle, owned by William Slade, Appledore, Devon, which was drifting at the mercy of the wind and waves in the Irish Channel, was bound from Garston to Gweek, Falmouth, with a cargo of coal, when she encountered a fierce gale. Her sails were carried away and she sprang a leak. Her condition became almost serious and she was in danger of being dashed on coastal rocks when the trawler sighted her and dashed to the rescue.

    After skilful manoeuvring under conditions of extreme risk and danger the trawler succeeded in getting a line aboard the distressed vessel and took her in tow. For six hours she battled with the gale and brought the schooner into Fishguard Harbour, where she is now safely at anchor with bare masts.

    This was Skipper Weymouth's first trip in the Madeline Jeanne.  He lives in one of the new Council houses at Glebelands.



Skipper's statement:


    I live at Wellesbourne, Wellington Road, Hakin, and I am the Skipper of the "Madeline Jeanne".

    We left Milford on the 27th February 1931 and fished in the Bardsey Island area. We came down off Strumble Head for shelter from the weather on the night of the fifth.  We intended finishing up our fishing expedition off the Smalls and off the Bishops.

    At ten a.m. on the sixth we left our place of shelter and made for the Bishops.  The weather had not moderated but we desired to get to the fishing grounds on the chance of the weather improving.  l first spotted a vessel which subsequently proved to be the Schooner "Millom Castle" about seven or eight miles direct ahead of us and as we drew near she raised a signal consisting of a flag on a pole and waved us to come alongside.  They asked us to take them in tow. The mizzen sail was completely blown away, she had one main sail and one jib but no foresail.

    The wind at that time, which was from the South, South East, was strong, I should say about force nine and the sea was rough.  The tide was  running to the Southward.

    The "Millom Castle" was lying low in the water suggesting that she was leaking and the water was washing back and fore her decks. We steamed up from the stern of the "Millom Castle" alongside her starboard side within about ten yards off her and threw a line to her but her crew failed to catch it.  We then repeated the manoeuvre and this time the rope was caught and our warp was  hauled on board the "Millom Castle" and made fast. As our warp was being pulled on board there was a risk, a usual one, of its getting entangled in our own propeller. We occupied about half an hour getting connected up and at about twelve thirty p.m. we started to tow the "Millom Castle" in towards the coast in order to get in the shelter of the land where the water was smoother.

    The tow proceeded without incident and we reached Fishguard at about six p.m. where the "Millom Castle" dropped her anchor.  We then slipped our warp.  We dropped our own anchor alongside the "Millom Castle" and remained there until about mid-night, then we left in accordance with telegraphic instructions from our owners to return to Milford. We reached Milford at six a.m. on the seventh.

    The wind remained of about force eight to nine during the whole of the tow and although we kept in the shelter of the land the sea remained very rough. The engines of the "Millom Castle" were not in motion when we picked her up nor were they used during the tow. By the time we reached Fishguard Harbour the "Millom

Castlel" was well down by the head indicating a substantial leak.  I don't think the "Millom Castle" would have stood the battering of the seas much longer without foundering.  When we picked the "Millom Castle" up no other vessel was in sight nor did one appear until we had been towing him for about half an hour. The fore and main sails would not have been of any use in the absence of a mizzen sail as there would have been no control over the vessel.


Sgn. Skipper Herbert Weymouth.


[On 19th August 1931 the Owners, Master and Crew of the MADELEINE JEANNE were awarded 110 in respect of the salvage of the MILLOM CASTLE.]



From The Times of Tuesday 2nd July 1935, pg. 37:




LADY GAY. Milford Haven, July 1st.―  Motor cabin cruiser Lady Gay, Poole for Milford Haven, when about 10 miles SSW St. Ann's Head yesterday experienced difficulty petrol feed and had taken assistance steam trawler Jacklyn, Lowestoft, tow her to Milford Haven.



From the West Wales Guardian of  Friday 15th December 1950:


    Milford's best-known sporting figure, Fred Hoggins, was smiling when he left the Docks on Thursday morning.  This was not Fred, the centre-forward, nor Fred, the mine-host, but Fred, the trawler owner.  The former Robins' leader gained a wide knowledge of the industry during the years he was on the staff of the Trawler Owners Association as a scalesman.  Recently in partnership with Skipper Dick Reed, Fred purchased the Lowestoft drifter-trawler Jacklyn, which was brought round from the East Coast, and landed her first voyage for her new owners on Wednesday.  Bad weather enabled her to fish for only two days, but her catch of 55 kits (25 of soles) fetched 584.

    The Jacklyn, which originally sailed out of Milford under Messrs. Mitchell's management, left again on Thursday morning in charge of Skipper Reed.  And Fred was there to see them off.


Back to Trawlers 1915-39