John Stevenson Collection
Official No: 114310 Port Number and Year: 9th in Fleetwood, 1905 (FD38)
3rd in Milford, 1919.
- in Grimsby, 1921 (GY1311)
Description: Steel side / beam trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged; foresail, mainsail, mizzen.
Crew: 10 men (1919).
Registered at Milford: 6 Mar 1919
Built: 1905; by J. Duthie, Sons & Co., Aberdeen. (Yard no. 258)
Tonnage: 232.05 grt 80 net (1 Jan 1914: 94.58 net.)
Length / breadth / depth (feet): 125.35 / 21.75 / 11.8 (13.08 according to Milford Register.)
Engine: T-3Cyl, 54 rhp; by W.V.V. Lidgerwood, Glasgow
2 Sep 1905: Louis Cohen, Tettenhall )
Ernest Heinrich Fridrich Louis Schottler, Blackpool; )
William Johnson, Sheffield; ) Joint owners.
Percy Johnson, Sheffield; )
Walter Henry Dickenson, Fleetwood. )
Manager: Fred Kelsall.
2 Dec 1905: Norbreck Steam Fishing, 166 Dock St. Ltd., Fleetwood. (64/64)
Manager: Louis Cohen, Tettenhall, Norbreck, Lancs. (2 Dec 1905.)
Fred Kelsall. (8 Dec 1905.)
Louis Cohen, Tettenhall, Norbreck, Lancs. (5 Dec 1906.)
James H. Marr, Dock St., Fleetwood. (5 Oct 1909)
James A. Robertson, Dock St., Fleetwood. (c.1917)
27 Jan 1919: Morgan Watkin Howell, 29 Hamilton Tce., Milford.
Managing owner: John McRae Knight, 'Craiglyn', Wellington Rd., Hakin.
6 Mar 1919: As M11
18 Aug 1920: The Direct Fish Supplies Ltd., 3 London Wall Buildings, London E.C. 2.
Manager: John McRae Knight, The Docks, Milford.
18 Nov 1921: Direct Fish Supplies Ltd., 3 London Wall Buildings, Grimsby.
Sep 1922: Portuguese owners.
Landed at Milford: 9 Apr - 31 Aug, 12 Nov - 17 Dec 1919; 7 Jan - 15 Aug 1920
Skippers: Aubrey Sherman (1920).
Marton is now a part of Blackpool.
Jun 1915: Requisitioned by Admiralty (Admy.no.1590) and converted to a minesweeper. (1-6pdr HA). Based on Tyne.
21 Mar 1919: Returned to owners.
21 Feb 1919: Fleetwood registry closed.
7 Mar 1922: Law Notices - For Trial with Witnesses: Owners, Master and Crew of trawler Ermine v. Owners, Master and Crew of trawler Marton. Cargo and Freight. [ The Times, 7th March 1922.] 23 Mar 1922: Direct Fish Supplies Ltd. in liquidation.
23 Sep 1922: Grimsby registry closed, sold to Portuguese owners.
1923: Broken up.
Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 14 Oct 1921. Vessel transferred to the port of Grimsby.
[ Information from the Bosun's Watch (Fleetwood trawlers) website. ]
Accidents and Incidents
Transcription of a letter in the Les Jones Archive, dated 26 July 1920:
L. G. Griffiths, Esq.,
Direct Fish Supplies
"Marton" & "Xylopia"
In reply to yours of the 24th re above, we fully appreciate the fact that these vessels, in common with the majority of trawlers, are running at a loss, and had it been possible to improve matters, rest assured it would have been done. The loss is due principally to the bad trade experience in May and June, and not to the vessels. We have tried changing the crews several times, and in fact one of the best skippers in the port we have shipped for the "Xylopia". We are hoping things may improve next month or at an early date.
If you have anything to suggest that you think would be an improvement, we shall be pleased to hear from you.
HOWELL & KNIGHT
Back to Trawlers 1915-39