SAMUEL BARKAS M84
As Inverneill A474 (1937-52)
John Stevenson Collection
Official No: 143910 Port Number and Year: - in London, 1919 (LO ?)
1st in Milford, 1920
- in Granton, 1926 (GN69)
- in Aberdeen, 1937 (A474)
Description: Strath Class steel side trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged: foresail, mainsail and mizzen.
Crew: 10 men (1920)
Registered at Milford: 30 Jan 1920
Built: 1917 by Hall, Russell & Co., Aberdeen. (Yard no. 618)
Tonnage: 215.81 grt 93.28 net.
Length / breadth / depth (feet): 115.4 / 22.1 / 12.1
Engine: T 3-Cyl. 56.7 nhp.10 kts. Engine and boiler by builders.
As SAMUEL BARKAS LO?
1919: The Admiralty, London.
Manager: The Secretary, Admiralty, Whitehall, London SW1.
30 Jan 1920: Frank Berry Rees, Docks, Milford. (21/64)
Harry Eastoe Rees, 14 Mirador Cres., Swansea. (21/64)
Managing owner: Alfred William Rainbow, Docks, Milford. (22/64)
16 Mar 1920: Rainbow Steam Fishing Co. Ltd., Docks, Milford.
Manager: Harry Eastoe Rees.
9 Nov 1925: David Dryburgh, 27 Jessfield Tce., Leith (1926: 2 Bangholm Park, Leith)
Manager: Robert Bell (jnr.), 2 Link's Place, Leith.
Jul 1926: As INVERNEILL (GN69)
1937: Robert Baxter, 74 Hammersmith Rd., Aberdeen.
20 May 1938: As A474.
1940: Bunch Steam Fishing Co. Ltd., Grimsby.
Manager: Herbert G. Crampin (Directed to Fleetwood under wartime control.)
1949: Camperdown Fishing Co. Ltd., Aberdeen.
Manager: John Walker.
c.1953: Camperdown Fishing Co., Aberdeen
Manager: J. Walker.
Landed at Milford: 5 Aug 1919.
(M84) 7 Jan 1920 - 30 Oct 1925
Skippers: George Cooper (1920); John Wilson 15197 (Nov 1925).
Samuel Barkas, age 23, born Lancaster; Landsman, HMS Victory, Trafalgar.
7 Jun 1917: Launched and completed as a minesweeper (Admy. no. 3650). 1x12 pdr.
1920: Sold to mercantile.
27 Feb 1929: Ran ashore in dense fog near Dunbar, East Scotland. Refloated with the assistance of Leith tug EARL OF POWIS.
28 Mar 1939: Attacked in North Sea by German aircraft; Mate John Carsey was wounded.
1952: Transferred to Fleetwood.
1956: Broken up at Charlestown, Fife
[Information from Fleetwood Steam and Sailing Trawler website, and Granton Trawler website.]
Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 6 Jul 1926. Transferred to the port of Granton.
Accidents and Incidents
From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 25th October 1925:
On Saturday morning the steam trawler "Samuel Barkas" came in and landed her cook, Mr Edward Chalk, a married man, living in Fulke Street, who was suffering from severe burns. He was taken to Doctor Williams' surgery, and his injuries attended to, after which he was conveyed to the County Hospital, Haverfordwest.
It appears that while the trawler was at sea, and Chalk was attending to his duties in the galley, something seems to have been in the coal of a very inflammable nature, for there was an explosion and a burst out of flames, which scorched the cook severely about the head.
Back to Trawlers 1915-39