Official No: 105064  Port Number and Year: 54th in Hull, 1895. (H294)

                                                                                -    in Geestemunde, 1914 (PG197)

                                                                             12th in Granton, 1920 (GN65)

                                                                               4th in Milford, 1924.

                                                                                 -   in Dieppe, 1933 (DI ? )

Description: Iron side trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Liner. Ketch rigged: foresail, mainsail and mizzen

Crew:  9 men (1895); 8 men (1924).

Registered at Milford: 3 Jul 1924

Built: 1895, by Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley.  (Yard no. 135)

Tonnage: 139.36 grt  58 net.

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 98.5 / 20.5 / 11

Engine: T-3Cyl.  35 rhp.  9.5 kts.  Amos & Smith Ltd., Hull. 1917: New boiler fitted.




26 Sep 1895: Hull Steam Fishing & Ice Co. Ltd., Hull.

Manager: Henry Toozes, St. Andrew's Dock, Hull


As WEST PG197.

Jun 1914:  V. Putz Co., Geestemünde, Germany.

(*See Note below.)


6 Mar 1920: Thomas T. Brown, 133 Piersfield Tce., Piershill, Edinburgh.

Managing owner: George Brown, 20 North Fort St., Leith.

3 Jul 1920: As SETON CASTLE GN65.


As M27

3 Jul 1924: Hans Brun Tyvold, Wellington Rd., Hakin (16/64)

Managing owner: Edward James Hellings, 5 Hamilton Tce., Milford (48/64)


By 1927: Edward James Hellings, Docks, Milford (64/64)

Managing owner.


23 Dec 1932: Ernest C. A. Clark, 30 Connaught Gardens, Palmers Green, London N13.

Managing owner.



28 Feb 1933: Jaques A. Testulat, 10 Rue Toustin, Dieppe, France.


Landed at Milford: 10 Aug 1924 - 24 Dec 1931



Seton Castle, east of Edinburgh and close to Prestonpans, belonged to the Earls of Winton.

*7 Oct 1915: Captured by HMS MANLY in the N. Sea, renamed CUDWOSIN (Admy. no. 1944; 1x6 pdr.): one of 29 German trawlers seized for minesweeping duties, all named beginning with "C" and ended with "-sin".

6 Apr 1924: Towed disabled Glasgow steam coaster OLIVINE to Holyhead.

28 Aug 1933: Foundered near Portail, Finisterre. (The crew were saved.)

[ Acknowledgments to ]

[Lofthouse T., Mayes G., Newton D., & Thompson M. (2012): Cochrane Shipbuilders Vol.1: 1884 - 1914.]

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 28 Feb 1933.  Vessel sold to French owners.

 Accidents and Incidents

Note of Protest - April 1926

    Whilst we engaged in fishing last week, on the fishing grounds off Bardsey (North Wales), we were lining just off the island when we had to go to the assistance of a vessel in distress.  She was a big steamer named "Olivene" of Glasgow.  The vessel was in a helpless condition owing to engine failure.

    We succeeded in getting close and putting our warps aboard.  We then towed the "Olivene" into the port of Holyhead.

    The steamer was bound for the port of London with a large cargo of Macadam.


(Statement by the skipper and part owner, Mr. Hans Tyvold, of Wellington Road, Hakin.)



Back to Trawlers 1915-39