Official No:  144595    Port and Year:  326th in London, 1920 (LO ?)

                                                                      -     in Glasgow, 1920 (GW24)   

                                                                       1st in Aberdeen, 1926 (A161)

                                                                       1st in Milford, 1939

                                                                         -  in Douglas, IoM, 1940 (DO37)

Description: Steel side trawler; steam screw, coal fired. Ketch rigged

Crew: 9 men (1926).

Built: by Hall, Russell & Co., Aberdeen; in 1907.  (Yard no. 425)

Tonnage: 185 grt  85 net

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 112.4 / 21.5 / 11.7                                                         

Engine: T.3-Cyl; 69 nhp; by builders.




1907: Sociedad Pescadero Argentina, Calle Olavarria 55, Buenos Aires.

Manager: F. Domas.


As T.31

1917: Imperial Russian Navy.

3 Aug 1918: Seized by RN.  (See notes below.)



1920:  The Secretary of the Admiralty, Whitehall, London SW1.

Managing owner.


As GW24

1920: James Mearns Davidson, Raik Rd., Aberdeen.

Managing owner.


As A161

8 Jan 1926: Harrow-Baxter Steam Fishing Co. Ltd., Regent Rd., Aberdeen.

Manager: William Baxter, 5 Devenha Gardens, Aberdeen.

               (1929: 13 Anderson Drive, Aberdeen.)


As M35

11 Dec 1939: John Charles Llewellin, 'Camelot', Wellington Rd., Hakin, Milford.

Managing owner.


As DO37

5 May 1941: Mrs. Ellen Mary Marsh Gordon Cubbin, Strathallan Cliff,  Douglas, Isle of Man.

Manager: R. A. Colby Cubbin.


Landed at Milford: 23 Nov 1939 - 22 Dec 1940



3 Aug 1918: Seized in the White Sea.

11 Nov 1918: Added to the Navy List as SUREAXE, a minesweeper (Admy. No. 4344). 1x12pdr.

11 May 1920: Sold to mercantile.

Aug 1942: Requisitioned by the Admiralty and converted for target towing (P.No. FY.1843).

Nov 1945: Returned to owners.

Sep 1951: Broken up by West Coast of Scotland Ship Breaking, Troon.

[Acknowledgements to the Granton Trawlers website.]

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: 5 May 1941. Vessel transferred to the port of Douglas, IoM.

Accidents and Incidents

From an unknown local newspaper of c. Thursday 16th November 1939:


    It is good news for Milford that the trawler fleet, which has been so depleted since the outbreak of war, is to be augmented by three vessels which have been purchased from Aberdeen.

    Two, the River Ythan and the Sureaxe, are being added to the growing fleet of that enterprising firm of Yolland and Llewellin.  These vessels can be adapted for Spanish fishing, of course, but for the meanwhile will probably be put on mixed fishing.  They are 112 ft. and 115 ft. in length.

    The other purchase is by Mr. Herman Westenborg, another go-ahead owner. The vessel is the Craiganeran, and has been bought from Mr. George Craig of Aberdeen. 

    The trawlers are expected to arrive shortly, and will be a welcome addition to the local fleet.


Back to Trawlers 1915-1939