Official No:  113593    Port Number and Year:  99th in  Hull, 1900 (H522)

                                                                                  2nd in Milford, 1925

Description: Iron side trawler; steam screw, coal burning. Ketch rigged: foresail, mainsail and mizzen.  Wheelhouse aft.

Crew:  11 men (1904); 10 men (1925).

Registered at Milford: 17 Aug 1925.

Built: 1900 by Gemmell, Smith & Sons, Hessle.  (Yard no. 2)

Tonnage: 216.18 grt 76 net  (1914: 85.43 net.)

Length / breadth / depth (feet): 120.0 / 21.7 / 11.5

Engine: T 3-Cyl. 60 nhp.10 kts.  Engine and boiler by Tindale, Earle & Hutchinson, Hull



As H522

19 Dec 1900: S. T. White & Co. Ltd., Billingsgate, St. Andrew's Dock, Hull.

Manager: Samuel T White, St. Andrew's Dock, Hull.


As M43

17 Aug 1925: Richard Garrett, Picton Rd., Hakin.

Arthur Brinley Jones, 16 Priory Rd., Milford

Owner manager: Herman Westenborg, 'George & Dragon', Barlow St., Milford.


Landed at Milford: 17 Aug 1925 - 26 May 1933.

Skippers: William Henry Hicks (1925); John W. Setterfield (1933)


The first trawler to be fitted with wireless and the first to be fitted with a dynamo. (Les Jones Archive). Installed 1930; call sign GTLC. (MNL 1931 - but see 1932 local newspaper article below.)

Oct 1915: Requisitioned by the Admiralty and converted to a minesweeper (Admy. no.1973). 1 x 6 pdr.  Employed as a minesweeping training vessel.

1919: Returned to owners.

15 Jul 1925: Hull registry closed.

30 May 1933: Foundered 12 miles SW of Bull Rock Light. [See story below.]

Cert. Cancelled & Milford Registry Closed: "Registry closed. Ship foundered on 29/5 1933. Certif. lost with ship."

Accidents and Incidents:

From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 21st August 1925:


    Our Staple Industry.― ....  A new trawler ... arrived at the port this week, the "Tally Ho", which has been brought from Hull for Messrs. Westenborg and Jones, a new firm, who have also erected a smoke house.



From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 9th September 1932:


    Mr. Herman Westenborg of Milford Haven, owner of the the steam trawlers "Tally Ho" and "Thomas Leeds", is about to install a wireless telephone on both of his vessels.  He has already been granted a licence by the Government.

    "The advantages of wireless telephones are many," he said in an interview.  "The apparatus will be much cheaper than a wireless [telegraphy] installation, and there will be no necessity to have on board a wireless operator."

    Mr. Westenborg went on to say that on the last trip one of his trawlers was in difficulties at sea, and she had to seek assistance from the nearest trawler to her.  If the vessels had at that time been equipped with a wireless set (telephone), the distressed vessel would have been able to call up the other vessel for assistance.

    He prophesised that within a short time the whole of the fishing fleet out of Milford Haven, over 120 vessels, will be equipped with wireless telephone.




From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 9th September 1932:







    Police officers from all parts of Pembrokeshire were rushed to Milford Haven in the early hours of Thursday morning, and by 5 a.m. about seventy-five per cent. of the county force had arrived there.  Never before have so many policemen been seen in the port.

    On Monday last the owners informed the Skippers' and Mates' Negotiating Committee that they were withdrawing from the undertaking given on August 22nd, not to sail any of their ships "until further notice."  They intimated that they reserved the right to take steps to sail any vessel which they thought fit and proper from noon on Wednesday.



    The Tally Ho, which had been manoeuvring in the Dock, made for the lock pits.  She got against the gassoon on the Hakin side and almost immediately irate strikers poured on board.  Some came from small boats, while others boarded from the shore.  Mick Owston was the skipper of the boat and his son, Matt Owston, was mate.  The skipper was taken charge of and transported by boat to the Milford side of the Dock and thence up to the town.  Resistance was shown by some members of the crew and in the struggle Matt Owston was badly bruised and cut about the face and head and was taken to Dr. Williams' surgery under police escort.  The crowd on Point Street surged down and ironically cheered and booed him.



The Times, Wednesday, May 31, 1933; pg. 11; Issue 46458; col G

     News in Brief

The captain and crew of 10 of the steam trawler Tally Ho, of Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire, were landed at Berehaven, Co.Cork, yesterday, their vessel having foundered in a thick fog on Monday night 12 miles south-west of the Bull Rock Light.


The Times, Wednesday, May 31, 1933; pg. 26; Issue 46458; col A 


From Lloyds


TALLY HO.— Valentia Radio Station, May 30.— Following received from British trawler Cobmuir times 6.25 a.m. G.M.T.— Trawler Tally Ho foundered 5.30 a.m.  Cobmuir landing crew, all safe, Berehaven.  Position lat. 51.30 N., long. 10.10 W.


[COTSMUIR M244, no such vessel as COBMUIR.]



From the Pembrokeshire Telegraph of Wednesday 31st May 1933:





 News was received at Milford Haven on Tuesday by the managing owner, Mr. H. Westenborg, that the steam trawler “Tally Ho” had foundered off the Irish coast.

There are no details available other than that the crew are safe, and have been landed at Valencia, Ireland.

The “Tally Ho” would be on her way to the fishing grounds, for she only landed a voyage at Milford Haven on Saturday last, and left port on Monday morning’s tide.

Only about three weeks ago the s.t. Stanfrel was lost and the crew landed at the same place in Ireland.  The crew will probably reach home some time today (Wednesday).



Statement of Protest:


We sailed from our home port of Milford, bound for the fishing grounds on the 27th May 1933.  At about ten thirty on Monday the 29th May 1933, when in position with the Bull Light (south-west Ireland) bearing north by west, a distance of about twelve miles, after towing for a while our gear got fouled, and in the course of hauling and on account of having sprung a leak and despite all possible efforts by the crew and use of all the pumps, foundered at about dawn on Tuesday 30th May 1933, the men having in the meantime been obliged to leave the "Tally Ho" by means of the trawler's small boat.


John William Setterfield (Skipper)



From Larn B.T. & Larn R. (2000):  Shipwreck Index of the British Isles - Vol 5 West Coast and Wales:


TALLY HO          (R)  00/07/1933


Pembrokeshire, Milford Haven, near.            51.40N 05.10W


[(R) denotes that the loss was "Reported".  Based on apparently inaccurate information from "Board of Trade Wreck Returns 1933"; compare date and position given on "Times" report above.  Not referred to in "Shipwreck Index of Ireland."]




Back to Trawlers 1915-39