As TANAGER H134 in Brixham
Thanks to the Trawler Photos website.
Official No: 129285 Port and Year: Hull, 1910 (H134)
London, 1940 (LO250)
Description: Steel side trawler; coal fired, steam screw. Ketch rigged.
Crew: 9 men (1919).
Built: by Goole Shipbuilding & Repair, Goole, in 1910 (Yard no. 134)
Tonnage: 192 grt 71 net
Length / breadth / depth (feet): 110.1 / 21.6 / 11.9
Engine: T.3-Cyl; 55 rhp; by Earles Co., Hull.
6 Sep 1910: Kelsall Bros. & Beeching, St. Andrews Dock, Hull
Managers: George Beeching, 114 Westbourne Ave., Hull.
John E. A. Kelsall, Donegal House, Love Lane, Billingsgate, City, London.
Manager: John Slater, 7 East India Ave., London E.C.3. (1919-25)
Robert Burton, St. Andrew's Dock, Hull. (1925-32)
Charles H. Emerson. (Same address.) (1932-36)
1936: Plymouth Mutual Steam Fishing Co. Ltd., 36 Southside St., Plymouth
Manager: John Chant, 7 Radford Park Rd., Plymstock, Devon.
May 1938: Torbay Trawlers Ltd., The Quay, Brixham, Devon.
Manager: Arthur E. R. Dexter. (Same address.)
1940: R. H. Trawlers, Fleetwood
Manager: R. H. Hewett.
17 Apr 1940: As LO250
23 Mar 1945: R. G. Parsley (Don Trawling Co.) Docks, Milford
Landed at Milford: 23 Mar 1945 - 9 Mar 1946
Nov 1914: Requisitioned by the Admiralty (No.386) and converted to a minesweeper. 1x3pdr.
1919: Returned to owners.
16 Apr 1940: Hull Register closed.
14 Oct 1955: Broken up in Belgium.
[Information supplied by the Fleetwood Maritime Trust and the Bosun's Watch website.]
Accidents and Incidents
From an unknown local newspaper of c. 29th March 1945:
Milford's fishing fleet is gradually building up its strength. The Pair Fishing Company have brought two new boats to the the port, the s.t. "Tanager", and the s.t. "Cosbeach" [ ? ]. Two other derequisitioned boats, the "Milford Duchess" and the "Lephreto", started fishing from the port last week.
The labour position, however, is still acute. Men are lacking to to man the sea-going trawlers, and also to unload the the returning fish-laden trawlers. In the circumstances there is a great possibility that Sunday work will once more become necessary on the fish market.
From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 15th February 1946:
As a direct sequel to the dispute between the Skippers and Mates Section of the T.& G.W.U and the owners of pair fishing trawlers over the employment of Spanish Fishing Masters, the Spanish method of pareja-fishing has ceased at Milford.
The "Charmouth" and "Grackle" have already been converted to fish solo, while the "Trumpeter" and "Shama", the other boats belonging to the Pair Fishing Co., will be converted later this month. The Don Trawler Company's "Tanager" and "Grosbeak" are also coming in for alterations pending their return to fishing singly.
It will be remembered that the skippers and mates claimed that demobilised local skippers should be put in as masters instead of the Spanish uncertificated fishermen holding the berths, one on each trawler in addition to a normal skipper. The owners claimed that the Spaniards were indispensable, and that if the Union persisted, they would either move their boats to another port, or convert them to fish singly. There was a deadlock for a few weeks, and as the skippers and mates were adamant, the trawlers are being converted, but will not leave the port.
Taking another step in their new policy of fishing with single boats, the Pair Fishing Company has purchased the Castle boat "John Lister" from the Iago Trawling Company of Fleetwood, with which Capt. E. D. W. Lawford is associated. She will be at Milford early next month, and Skipper Reggie High will be in charge of her.
The "Charmouth" has been taken out on her first solo trip by Skipper Jack Garnham.
Back to Other Registrations Q-Z