Official No: 99699 Port and Year: Grimsby, 1893 (GY509)
London, 1896 (LO135)
Aberdeen, 1915 (A428)
Description: Steel side trawler; single screw; coal fired; yawl rigged. Wheelhouse aft.
Crew: 9 men (1893).
Built: 1893, by Mackie & Thomson, Glasgow. (Yard no. 66)
Tonnage:141 grt 54 net. (1 Jan 1940: 141.3 grt; 59.39 net.)
Length / breadth / depth (feet): 97.8 / 20.5 / 10.7
Engine: T.3-Cyl; 35 rhp; by Muir & Houston, Glasgow.
19 Jul 1893: The Great Grimsby Ice Co., Ltd, Grimsby.
Manager: John O. Hawk, Fish Dock, Grimsby.
1895: Hewett & Co. Ltd., Fish Market, Shadwell, London.
Manager: R. M. Hewett.
Mar 1896: As LO135.
Manager: George M. Handscomb, Riverside, Gorleston. Suffolk. (1903.)
1906: Charles. T. Pannell, 60 Durley Rd., Stamford Hill, London.
31 Bergholt Cres., Stamford Hill, Middlesex. (By 1912)
Manager: James Tidman, 228 High St., Gorleston Suffolk.
Edward Brand, Docks, Milford. (1911)
27 Nov 1913: Charles E. B. L. Curzon, Docks, Milford.
(Home address: Watermouth Castle, Berrynarbor, N. Devon.)
5 Aug 1915: Standard Steam Fishing Co., Aberdeen.
[ Thanks to Andrew Hall for information from the Aberdeen registers. ]
Landed at Milford: 17 Mar 1907 - 28 Jul 1915
Skippers: W. Barnes (1893); George Smith (1913 - 14 Oct 1914)
Sister ship to HALCYON LO132 and CYGNET LO131 ("The little London boats")
1 Jun 1917: Captured by U-57 (Kapitšnleutnant Carl-Siegfried Ritter von Georg), 57 miles NW by N of Sule Skerry Light (Orkney); sunk by gunfire, but crew taken off with no loss of life.
28 Jun 1917: Aberdeen Register closed; "Sunk by submarine."
Accidents and Incidents
From the Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Telegraph of Wednesday 17th December 1913:
Mr. Brand and Co. have disposed of their smaller vessels, viz. Halcyon, Teal, Osprey and Cygnet, to Mr Curzon, the owner of the steam trawler Quebec, and they will remain in the port. These vessels, known as the little London boats, have done remarkably well ever since they came to the port.
Back to Other Registrations Q-Z